Evidence of Fuel Contamination can be seen in tanks, gas stations, generators and boats
- In vehicles and equipment, fuel filters plug up, stopping engines and generators from working.
- At gas stations, it is often seen as corrosion on metal, and slow flow at the dispensing pump.
- In standby generators, generators won’t start or will stop running because the fuel filters get plugged.
All fuel and tanks degrade over time unless cleaned – any water in the tank speeds up the rate of damage.
Contaminated fuel causes pumps, generators, motors and filters to fail.
As fuel specialists, we spent years researching the cause of contamination and ways to help clients avoid these problems. The major contaminants in fuel are water and bacteria. Trying to clean fuel tanks with water (triple-rinse) or using additives will not remove water, rust and bacteria.
Through research and development, we have found:
- The only effective way to clean fuel tanks is to use the fuel at high velocity as the cleaning medium – never using water
- The fuel needs to be processed at high speed, causing significant turbulence in the tank, stirring up rust, bacteria and particles so they can be removed from the fuel, like a dialysis machine.
Chemicals are sometimes used to slow microbial growth in fuel tanks. In the early stages of bacterial contamination some chemicals may be effective. However our experience has shown that most microbial growth is only found when it is well established, beyond the point where chemicals alone will be effective.
The best way to keep fuel clean and healthy is to:
- Regularly treat the tank with biocide
- Pump the water from the tank
- Sweep the bottom of the tank to remove rust and particles
- Polish the fuel (like a dialysis machine) to strip out the water and the particles
You can have a clean tank, the damage caused by the bacterial microbes is stopped, and you get to keep your fuel.
If you have slow flowing pumps, clogged filters, or a fuel related malfunction (like damaged injectors), these are all potential signs of fuel contamination and should be dealt with immediately to avoid costly repairs later.
We are dedicated professionals, well-trained and attentive to details, so you can feel confident that we’ll take excellent care of you and your equipment. At FuelCare we have built a solid track record of solving customer problems for over 20 years.